Professor August-Wilheml Scheer has, amongst so much more, brought to us:
- Link between processes and information.
- His contribution to the academic world: in 1975 Scheer took over one of the first chairs for information systems and founded the Institute for information Systems (IWI) at the Saarland University, which he led until 2005.
- His contribution to the Software world: In 1984 he founded IDS Scheer, a Business Process Management (BPM) software company, which is still today the market leader.
- His contribution to Enterprise Modelling: The ARIS House which is one of the first Enterprise Modelling concepts that combines and organizes information of an organization in five interrelated views: data, function, organization, output, and control.
His contribution to the Process Modelling community for developing the 2 main concepts for Business Process Modelling:
- Business content in Value-added Chain Diagrams (VCD).
- Process content in Event-driven Process Chains (EPC).
He is widely regarded as the founder of the BPM industry. Prof. Scheer receive the award from Professor Mark von Rosing and Professor Simon Polovina – the fathers of Enterprise Modelling and Enterprise Semantics.