Prof. August-Wilhelm Scheer
The International Panel of Judges has decided to honor Professor August-Wilhelm Scheer with the Lifetime Achievement Award in 2014. In recognition of his long-term impact and contribution to evolve the academic world and organization’s structural thinking of how to apply enterprise modelling today.
We are honored to bestow this award to Professor Scheer, as he has left his mark on this generation and generations to come, pushing the bar with his research and focus on information and business process management.
Professor August-Wilheml Scheer has, amongst so much more, brought to us:
- Link between processes and information.
- His contribution to the academic world: in 1975 Scheer took over one of the first chairs for information systems and founded the Institute for information Systems (IWI) at the Saarland University, which he led until 2005.
- His contribution to the Software world: In 1984 he founded IDS Scheer, a Business Process Management (BPM) software company, which is still today the market leader.
- His contribution to Enterprise Modelling: The ARIS House which is one of the first Enterprise Modelling concepts that combines and organizes information of an organization in five interrelated views: data, function, organization, output, and control.
His contribution to the Process Modelling community for developing the 2 main concepts for Business Process Modelling:
- Business content in Value-added Chain Diagrams (VCD).
- Process content in Event-driven Process Chains (EPC).
He is widely regarded as the founder of the BPM industry. Prof. Scheer receive the award from Professor Mark von Rosing and Professor Simon Polovina – the fathers of Enterprise Modelling and Enterprise Semantics.